Thursday, August 27, 2009
1. Is it too early to start thinking about Halloween costumes? I really want to come up with a kickass costume this year.
2. Classes started this week and the student who looks like my brother is my class again. It makes me smile to see him (which I'm hoping he doesn't realize). I'd hate to be a creepster. Oh my gosh, am I creepster?!?
3. The Polack and I are supposed to do some much needed yard work tonight. I *really* hope it rains.
4. Mia wears perfume and today, I passed a student wearing the same perfume. It reminded me of Mia. I suppose I'll always think of Mia when I smell that perfume.
5. The other day, I explained to Seeger that Mia is an exchange student which means she will leave at the end of the school year. He was NOT happy with this news. In fact, he was still thinking about it two hours later when we picked Mia up from soccer and he announced, "Mom, I don't want a sister that's going to leave. I want a sister that will stay with us forever."
6. How sad is it that Mia has only been with us for two of the forty-two weeks and we're already thinking about when she's will return home? That will be a dark day for the Kubatski family (and everyone else in the US who knows Mia, I'm sure.) She's so much fun and has really integrated well into the family.
7. My stinkin' iPhone hasn't been "pushing" my emails out to me. This has been very frustrating so I did the only thing I knew how to do (other than throw it out the window) - I deleted the email account and reinstalled it. So far, so good.
8. This probably sounds strange but I miss my old iPhone. My new acts up sometimes and will randomly lock up. My old one never did that. :(
9. I bought a new pair of shoes over the weekend (actually, I bought TWO new pairs of shoes - squee!) and wore them less than 5 hours before the strap broke on one. Grrrrr. I know I can return them -- and I will -- but they were $5 on clearance and the only pair left. I'd rather have the shoes, not the $5.
10. Saturday is Mia's first official soccer game. (She hasn't been able to play in the previous games because her coach requires all team members to practice at least 10 times before playing.) I hope she does well. We'll be cheering her on!!
Monday, August 24, 2009
Friday, August 21, 2009
Thursday, August 20, 2009
1. I burnt my tongue on a piece of pizza yesterday. I HATE having a burnt tongue. (Deja vu, I already did this bit randomness last week, didn't I?? Now it doesn't feel very random.)
2. I finished a quilt top last night. Yay for me! I needed some sewing time to relax a bit since I was so worked up about being forgotten during a scheduled child hand off. I had Seeger and was supposed to take him to the Polack when he was done working. I waited in the parking lot for 40 minutes because the Polack forgot. I had called, emailed, and texted him with no luck. I finally had to start calling his co-workers to track him down. Talk about embarrassing. He felt so bad and boy was I mad at him. He knew it was best to leave me alone for awhile so he played dad all night while I sewed. At least my quilt top is finished!
3. We had some stormy weather last night - there were tornado warnings all over the place. Mia was at a soccer game and she was so excited to watch it unfold around her. She said she was clapping at the thunder and lightening while many of her team mates where scared and crying. For some reason, this was very amusing to me.
4. Tomorrow is my mom's birthday. I invited her to dinner and my three brothers are all coming too. This will be the first time since Christmas that we've all been together.
5. Mia wants to go work out at the Y this weekend. She suggested we do a class and of course, I said yes. But really, in my head, I'm thinking, "oh crap, it's been way too long since I've done a class. I'm totally going to make a fool of myself."
6. Tonight I have to participate in a skit. I have to sing. And dance. This won't be pretty.
7. I volunteered to participate on a flag football team. It was sold to me as a casual, fun way to hang out. Then I got the email with the practice schedule, dress code, and suggested footwear. I don't own cleats! I don't want to pay $20 for a jersey! What have I gotten myself into??
8. I save almost every email I get. This is quite handy at work when someone falsely tells other people they told me something and I have the email which clearly proves they're lying.
9. Speaking of email, I received one yesterday for a contact I have at another university. His message to me was full of French phrases... merci beaucoup, a bientot, un peu, etc. This seems very strange.
10. The University starts up next week. Yippee!! I can't wait to have the students back on campus. I think fall is one of my most favorite times of the year!
Whoa, that's 10 already. Maybe I should start making RTT 20 thoughts long? Hmmm....
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Mia seems to be transitioning well into her American high school. She has had a lot of homework - something she's not used to. She came home on the first day a little blown away by all the English she had to process. With homework and soccer practice she is quite busy and I fear she isn't getting enough down time. Hopefully we'll have a quiet weekend. She has decided to stick to French III and commented that when she's translating, she can always go from French to Norwegian but then realizes she has to do the English translation. This is a bit more difficult for her. She is working hard on her math right now and we're hoping that she adjusts to Algebra II. She very much enjoyed her drama, current social events and issues, and parenting classes. She's received a few more invitations for the weekend - one to attend the first varsity football game of the season (which happens to be an hour drive away) and the second to go to a drive-in movie theater, something she's never done. At this point, we're holding off on making plans for the weekend and just hoping to get through the week. Personally, I vote for some down time at the pool but we'll see how that turns out.
Monday, August 17, 2009
Unfortunately, I don't have any photos to share of Mia. She was still getting ready when we were taking pictures and I was too worried about getting her on the bus in time that I didn't take any pictures outside. Plus... I didn't want to embarrass her. The boys are still young enough that they don't care but I spared Mia - this time anyway! I'm anxious to hear how her first day went.
Sunday, August 16, 2009
This year was our 10th anniversary. The Polack planned a trip to our favorite destination. A place we always enjoy and every time we make our return trip home, we're already planning our next trip there.
Las Vegas... We love to gamble, we love the shows, we love the casinos, we love the people watching.
Our trip started very well. For some reason, we were upgraded to first class. What a great way to start the trip! We were big fans of the big seats, fabulous food, and all you can drink wine. In case you're wondering, here is what dinner in fast class looks like.
We stayed at Mandalay Bay, home to one of the best pools/beaches on the strip.
The Polack splurged and got us a nice room. I loved the tv in the bathroom.~
We saw Le Reve at the Wynn...
And had some great dinners....
We rented a car this time so it was nice to venture off the strip and check out other parts of Vegas. We especially liked going downtown to gamble. For some reason, we always did better at the downtown casinos. (Although the Polack did very well in a poker tournament at our hotel. He made it to the top three where the prize money was chopped.)
Next year will be my turn to plan. I've started making a list but won't decide until the spring. Here's the rundown of our past 10 trips:
Honeymoon - Jamaica
First anniversary - Chicago
Second anniversary - Michigan
Third Anniversary - Cleveland
Fourth Anniversary - Chicago
Fifth Anniversary - Las Vegas
Sixth Anniversary - St. Louis
Seventh Anniversary - Phoenix
Eighth Anniversary - Bloomington
Ninth Anniversary - Washington, DC
Tenth Anniversary - Las Vegas
Friday, August 14, 2009
Thursday, August 13, 2009
1. Mia has arrived all safe and sound. She made her connection in Newark and had a big smile on her face when we met up for the first time at the Indy airport. I will post more on this later but thought I should get an update out there for everyone.
2. I've been eating a lot of soup lately which seems strange in August.
3. Why do people think it's appropriate to wear jeans and t-shirts to a wedding? Seriously - when a bride spends hundreds of dollars on a dress and the groom is in a tuxedo jeans are NOT appropriate.
4. Women in Las Vegas can dress pretty skanky. I realize Kelly Bundy attire can be seen anywhere but its definitely more obvious in Vegas.
5. Whenever I say, see, think, type, or read the word Vegas, I immediately start singing Katy Perry's "Waking Up in Vegas."
6. I wanna learn to play the banjo. Despite the fact that I associate the banjo to the movie Deliverance, I still think it's a cool instrument.
7. Ah ha - a brillant idea... Katy Perry should write a song that includes banjo music.
8. My tongue is burnt from all the soup I've been eating. I hate having a burnt tongue. This is why I never drink coffee. Well that and I think coffee tastes disgusting.
9. I remember watching my Grandpa pour milk into his coffee in the mornings. I loved the way the white swirled into the black.
10. I wonder when Glee is going to start up again? And Project Runway is supposed to start this month, right? I haven't been watching any tv lately and I sorta miss it. Except for Weeds. I have been watching Weeds. I love that show.
That's 10 folks. Join me next time for Random Thought Thursday. Same bat time, same bat channel..
Shut up and put your money where your mouth is. That's what you get for waking up in Vegas...
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
1. I have WAY TOO MANY posts swirling around in my head. I have grand ambitions to post them all in the next two weeks but I'm not making any promises.
2. Mia arrives today. TODAY!!! And I'm supposed to go about my regular business until we leave for the airport this evening. But really, I'm so, super excited (and a little nervous... but mostly just excited) to do anything remotely productive.
3. I miss the Gilmore Girls.
4. I had a doctor's appointment yesterday and he was running 90 minutes late. Ninety minutes!! No one bothered to tell me. Grrr....
5. We took the red eye from Vegas Monday evening. We left there at 11:15p Vegas time and arrived home at 5:30a Indiana time. I slept about 2 hours on the plane and that was it. I'm still recovering.
6. Mia arrives TODAY!!!
7. I'm thirsty. And tired.
8. Some kids started school today. It's only August 12!! Why does it feel like school starts earlier and earlier every year? Because it does - that's why!!
9. I'm running out of things to say. I think it's because I'm so tired. And thirsty.
10. How is it possible that I don't have anything more to say when my first thought was about all the posts I have been thinking about? It must be the lack of sleep. And drink. But probably mostly the lack of sleep.
I'll be back normal (relatively speaking) in a few days. Promise!!
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Saturday, August 1, 2009
I never imagined that one year later I'd still be going strong. Or that blogging would turn out to be such a creative outlet. My only regret is that I didn't start sooner.
I hope you've enjoyed my blog. Thanks for stopping by! Since it's been a year, I think it's appropriate to announce that I'm officially finished with blogging. This will be my last post.
(You're laughing right now, right? No? You're not? I was only joking!!)
Anyway, it's time to announce the winner of my Blogaversary Giveaway. After receiving 42 entries, random.org picked the lucky number assigned to.... *drum roll* BETH!!! Beth, I have a cool prize for you. Possibly. We'll see if I can make it work. I'll be in touch next week and I'll post about the prize once it's officially happened.
Oh, and the answers to the questions:
1. Where did the Polack and I spend our last wedding anniversary? Washington, DC (My MOM got this wrong! What's up with that, Mom??)
2. Why did I have to learn to paint faces in the fall? For the Barnes & Noble book fair at Nick's school
3. Why did I get pulled over by the Michigan State Police? For aggressively serving into the outside lane
4. What country is our exchange student coming from? Norway
5. What was the prize given in the Heather's giveaway? 5 1" Heathers buttons
I'm off to Austin (AGAIN!) for work and Vegas for vacation. Fair warning.... I'm not sure how much blogging I'll be doing in the next week or so.