Thursday, April 23, 2009

The chores weren't meant to be

As a parent, I try my best to always plan and prepare to stay on top of the household activities. This is especially important in the spring when the Polack is immersed in the baseball season and the boys are in the middle of tennis/swimming/soccer/baseball. I'm constantly checking my calendar to planning who has to be where at what time while trying to fit in things like homework and dinner and chores.

So imagine my surprise when Nicklas's soccer practice was cancelled yesterday and the Polack arrived home earlier than usual from baseball practice. By 6pm, we were all at home with no plans. No plans? Free time? I literally didn't know what to do with myself. The boys had no problem though. It was a beautiful evening and they spent every minute outside. I thought about having them help me with some housework but then I decided I didn't want to waste a gorgeous evening. So while they played with some neighborhood kids, the Polack and I took a walk around the neighborhood.





There is a bush right next the walk to our front door. It's pretty and I love the red but I hate the thorns because the boys always seem to touch the branches and get hurt. (Plus it's a pain to prune!) Anyway, I have seen a bird flying in and out and wondered if there was a nest. When we were outside, I decided to check it out. It's pretty thick so I kept leaning in closer and closer to take a look. Everyone was watching me, including the neighborhood kids and I hadn't even seen the nest when all of a sudden, the momma bird flew out. It scared the be-jesus out of me and of course I screamed. Everyone got a kick out of that. I did take a picture and if you look closely, you can see two eggs.



Speaking of family activities (was that the point of this post?) we were finally allowed to make contact with our exchange student. She and I have friended each other on facebook so it's been great to see photo's of her. (Although it stinks that everything is in Norwegian so I can't actually read the captions or comments!) She told me that when she was given our names, she immediately googled us and found this blog. So she's been showing our pictures to her family and friends in Norway. We're very excited to meet her and I'm anxious to get her room set up and ready. After tennis/swimming/soccer/baseball ends, of course!

No comments: