Thursday, July 30, 2009
I'm not in the best of moods.
The Polack asked what this post would be like since I'm grumpy. Can you believe he called me grumpy?
Oh yeah, random thought thursday.
1. I'm so tired. Mucho sleepy. Why am I so tired lately? Is something physically wrong with me? Is this a sign of getting old? I should probably just start going to bed earlier. If only it that were easy.
2. My to-do list seems to be growing, not shrinking. What's up with that? I need a personal assistant. I know - I need a butler. That would be, like, so cool.
3. Austin is a cool place and all but I really have no desire to go there again this summer. Especially since it's been 110+ degrees.
4. My house is so dirty. I have no idea with I'll be able to clean it.
5. This week, the Polack and I bought mucho furniture. Mucho. As in new family room furniture, furniture for the basement-that-will-take-months-to-finish, and a new dining room table + chair set.
6. I need to get some serious sewing done. For sanity's sake. But it ain't happening anytime soon. Does that mean I'm slowly going crazy. Let me check. Yep, definitely crazy.
7. Furniture + upcoming vacation + basement project + new office/workcenter + life in general = lots of money. As in mucho amount of money.
8. Did I mention that the Polack and I are going to Las Vegas? It's our 10 year anniversary. Vegas baby!
9. I love the song Come On, Eileen. I don't know any of the words to it but I sing it anyway. It always makes me smile and I got to hear it today when I was on my way home from work. It was the perfect pick me up for a crazy day that was only half over.
10. We FINALLY got Mia's travel itinerary. FINALLY. She arrives a week from Wednesday. Yippee!!
See I wasn't too grumpy, was I?
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
When he stopped in, it was to say goodbye. He graduated in May (WHAT? Already??) and is preparing to attend graduate school in Florida. He wanted to thank me for the support I gave him during his first years at the University. He even had the sweetest thank you card for me.
I have to say, I was a bit surprised. For the most part, he was a pretty good worker although there were a few issues. One time I had to suspend him for repeatedly oversleeping and coming to work late. I also had to have a conversation with him about personal hygiene. I saw this is as a part of the "growing up and being an adult" process. But I didn't know how he felt - I had the impression that he thought I was too hard on him. It's nice to know he appreciated the relationship we had. AND he even made the effort to tell me.
P.S. The note read: Thanks so much for giving me my first job at the university. It was a pleasure working for you and learning from you. I truly appreciate how patient you were and the opportunities you gave me. I am going to graduate school for my PhD in Biomedical Engineering at the University of Florida this upcoming year, and it is due in no small part to you and the rest of the office that I got through my first few years of undergrad. Thanks for everything and best of luck.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Monday, July 27, 2009
We took some pictures during the family night. Here is Seeger with his two counselors.
Nicklas wanted me to see the pool area. They did a swimming test on the first day and he was so good, he got a blue wrist band and was allowed to swim anywhere. He was very proud because he jumped off the tallest diving platform.
Thursday, July 23, 2009
Man, it's rough being 34.
Anyway, I better get on with it before I forget what I'm posting about....
1. People need to remember bathroom etiquette. If a gal is using one of the six available stalls, don't choose the stall right next to her. There are others that are further away and maintain a little more privacy. Am I right or am I right? I'm told urinal etiquette dictates the same.
2. What a cool summer it's been. As in physically cool. The air even smells like autumn. I went to work today thinking it would be a great day for a football game.
3. We bought pool passes and darn it, we're not using them enough. Unless the Polack takes the boys every day next week, we'll have paid less by purchasing individual tickets rather than buying a season pass.
4. I HATE not getting my money's worth. I can seriously turn psycho. When we went to Cedar Point, my mom asked what time we would leave. Seriously mom? I paid freaking $170 for our tickets. We're staying the whole damn day!!! When we went to Disney, we were there from the time the park opened until the fireworks.
5. Seeger used freaking in a sentence the other day. As in, "That's freaking funny." I wonder where he heard that term?
6. Did I mention that the building I work in as been infested with mice? Everyone is finding nests in their desk drawers and someone even found a nest with babies. Eeewww! I've found two nests in my office. The building is only two years old and it's warm enough outside that the university pest people are scratching their heads. They weren't doing anything about it so we set our own traps and threatened to get some D-Con. That got their attention and now they're on it. (We've even caught one with our traps. Double eewww!)
7. I LOVE my new sewing area. Love it, love it, love it. An orange and yellow room is super cool!
8. Why does all furniture on Craig's List look old, outdated, and gross?
9. I finally got to see The Hangover. So funny!
10. We're going to the Lake for the weekend. Our third trip this summer - yippee! My aunt from New York is visiting so we'll get to spend some time with her.
That's 10 folks. Don't forget to send me your answers to the blogaversary giveaway. Seven days and counting. I have an awesome prize in mind for the winner!
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Monday, July 20, 2009
In honor of the momentous occasion (okay, it's not REALLY that momentous - but I'm trying to build some excitement here!), I've decided to celebrate with another giveaway. I can hear the cheering already. A giveaway, a giveaway, a giveaway! What, you're NOT cheering? That's okay, I love you anyway.
Here's how it will work. I'll ask five questions below. For loyal readers, the answers will be easy. For those that don't know the answers, you can find them somewhere within this blog. It's like an open book exam! You send me an email. With every correct answer, you get one entry in the giveaway. So you can potentially get five entries by correctly completing the quiz. Got it? Great, there's more. If you're a follower or you start following my blog, leave me a comment on this post and you'll get an extra 10 entries. So that's a total of 15 entries you can earn! How exciting!!
I have a prize in mind but I need to do a little research to make sure it can happen. It will be even cooler than the Heather's giveaway. I promise! I need all emails by 11:59pm (eastern time) on July 30. That's my official one year blogaversary. Email answers to ngkubat (at) yahoo.com.
- Where did the Polack and I spend our last wedding anniversary?
- Why did I have to learn to paint faces in the fall?
- Why did I get pulled over by the Michigan State Police?
- What country is our exchange student coming from?
- What was the prize given in the Heather's giveaway?
See those are easy enough, right? Now get that email to me. This is going to be so much fun!
After the Cousin's Weekend, we were off to Chicago. I had a conference to attend and since the Polack and boys don't have anything better to do, they tagged along. On our way, we made a detour in Ann Arbor to visit my cousin and his new house. He took us to his favorite ice cream place.
We were staying in the outskirts of Chicago and since I had to work, the boys didn't venture into the city. We spent our time swimming and exploring the area and decided to end our vacation with a yummy meal at a local Mexican restaurant.
My goal for this vacation was to stay close to home, spend time with family, and save the money that would have been spent on a bigger vacation. Goals one and two were achieved. We didn't do as well with number three (Sea-Doo's take A LOT of gas!) but we had fun. And that's what matters. We'll definitely make more visits to the Lake and the Turner's are already planning the next Cousin's Weekend. Woop, woop!
Friday, July 17, 2009
The boys waited in line for the Matterhorn by themselves. The Polack and I were off riding one of the coasters Nicklas couldn't do and my mom stayed with the boys. Apparently just before getting on the ride, Seeger tried to chicken out. Nicklas talked him into trying it one time and promised him he'd have fun. And of course he did. What a great big brother! They rode that ride a few times.
My brother tagged along for the day. He and Nicklas decided to ride Thunder Canyon. Nicklas was excited about riding without his shoes.
This is a photo of the Wicked Twister. We didn't have a chance to ride this, nor did we ride the High Speed Dragster or the Maverick. (I may or may not have gotten those names correct!) There's always next year!!
At the end of the night, we let Nicklas choose the last ride. He picked his (and mine!) favorite coaster - the Millennium Force. Here's a great photo as we were making our way to the line.
It was a great day despite the fact that I lost my phone while riding the Magnum. I think it fell out of my pocket when I was getting off the coaster. I'm pretty sure someone else has a brand new iPhone of their own. It was only six days old!
Thursday, July 16, 2009
One evening we took the boys miniature golfing.
Our only big mishap occurred when we took Nicklas tubing. We were on the Sea-Doo and stopped in the lake, trying to get him set up. I wasn't being careful with the tubing rope and it got caught in the impellor. The Polack was quick to shut off the engine and we ended up swimming everything to shore. Someone let us put the Sea-Doo up on their lift so we could get under it and get the rope untangled. We had to cut it out but got it cleared safely with no harm to the Sea-Doo. (Which belongs to my aunt and uncle. Thank goodness there was no damage!!) I didn't fair as well. When we were still in the middle of lake, trying to see how bad the rope was, I fell and bruised my leg pretty badly. Luckily it's my upper thigh so it's easily hidden.
We also spent a day at Cedar Point which was Nicklas's absolute favorite thing we did. More on that in my next post!!