Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Five years ago...

On this day five years ago, I woke up very early in the morning, maybe around 4:30am. At nearly 9 months pregnant, sleep didn't come easy for me. As I waddled my way to the bathroom (a common venture at all hours of the day), I felt a light trickle. Realizing it could possibly be my water, the thought that I might be giving birth that day made me giddy with joy. I was ready! I made my way to the computer in our basement to start googling. I wasn't having contractions and since I hadn't felt a gush of water like you see in the movies, I wasn't 100% sure it was time. I also had a paper for a graduate class that I needed to finish. It was due in six days and I had completed my first draft. I figured if I was getting ready have the baby, I better complete what I could with my paper. I considered trying to go back to sleep but I was too excited.

Time moved so slow as I waited for an appropriate time to wake the Polack and Nicklas. I thought 6:30 was early enough (I'm not sure the Polack agreed but darn it, I was had to share the news!) Everyone got up and started getting ready for the day. I must have glanced at the clock every 2 minutes waiting for it to say 8:00. This meant the doctor's office would be open. Finally I was able to call and schedule an appointment to see my OB/GYN. We dropped Nicklas off at daycare and waited for our appointment.

My appointment was for 11:15. As I made my way to the exam room, I had a big smile on face. I had my final weigh-in. I'd gained 32 lbs. with the pregnancy. Not bad considering I gained around 55 lbs. with Nicklas. I explained to my doctor that I'd felt the trickle that I thought was my water but contractions hadn't started. He did an exam, did a swipe and went to test it. He came back and explained he didn't see evidence of any embryonic fluid.

Really? I asked. Because I can feel the trickle right now. Seriously. I'm dripping all over your exam table.

So the doctor swiped a sample from the liquid on the exam table and left to test it again. This time he came back and said it was time to head to the hospital.

You mean right now? I asked. Yes, he said, we'll have to deliver this baby within 24 hours or risk infection.

That's when it hit me. I WAS HAVING THE BABY TODAY!!!

The Polack and I went home to grab my stuff and then made quick stop at the daycare. My mother-in-law worked there so we let her know we were headed to the hospital and asked her to take care of Nicklas for us.

We got the hospital. I was feeling great! I got checked in and chatted cheerfully with the nurses. I asked what would happen if I didn't start having contractions. I was told I would probably be given pitocin. The look on my face indicated I wasn't happy about this so the nurse said I could ask my doctor to fully break my sac (at this point, there was just a minor leak) to see if that would get things going. He did this when he stopped in to check on me at around 2pm. Man, did that get things going. The contractions started immediately and came on strong. At this point, my mom had made the three hour drive to be with us in the delivery room. Was I ever glad she was there too.

(No offense to the Polack but he doesn't do well in hospitals.)

(And sometimes, you just need your mommy.)

I spent time a lot of time on the inflatable ball, rocking back and forth and around 4pm, I requested my epidural. It couldn't come fast enough! The pain was extreme but getting the epidural set up was even worse. It took the anesthesiologist FOR-EV-ER. And once the needle was in, I didn't feel the epidural working at all. After moaning a bit, my mom (who is a nurse) asked about the dosage and convinced them to up the amount.

Ah, sweet relief! It was around 5:00 at this time. I asked how long it would be before I could start pushing. The nurse said I was ready, they just wanted to get the doctor. He arrived about 15 minutes later. I pushed once for "practice", pushed again and held it to allow some stretching (I didn't want an episiotomy) and pushed once more. That's all it took.

Seeger arrived at 5:20pm. So sweet, so precious, and all boy. He weighed 8lbs. 13 oz.

Happy Birthday, Seeger!!!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Awe, what a wonderful post, Natalie. I loved reading this story and thinking aboout the pure joy of that day 5 years ago. I wish I would have known you then, but then again I am not sure I would have truly understood like I do now.