Thursday, May 7, 2009

Random Thought Thursday

Here it is again, folks! My second RTT...

1. I have a student who looks just like my youngest brother. It's a nice feeling every week to be reminded of Jake.

2. It only took 5 days for weeds to start popping up through my newly mulched landscaping. At least my landscaping looked good for 5 days.

3. Sometimes I wonder if I should change careers. I picture the Polack and I selling our house and moving far away so I can attend graduate school/law school/business school. We'd live off his teacher's salary in a cozy apartment and frugal lifestyle. Then I realize cozy means small and frugal means peanut butter and jelly every night for dinner. Teacher's salary means no vacations or nice cars. Still, it's somewhat freeing to think of a major lifestyle change. It would certainly help us appreciate what we have a little bit more.

4. It's finals week on campus. I can almost feel the anxiety palpitating off the students I interact with. Then there are the other students who are beyond anxious. After countless hours of studying and several all nighters, they are too far gone to feel anything but exhaustion.

5. I just finished watching the Sex and the City series a few days ago. (It's my background noise when I'm quilting.) I'd seen the series before and I knew the last season was good but daaaaamn..... I'd forgotten how good. So many networks rush to cancel a series without ever giving it the proper goodbye. And those that do often fail (hello, Girlmore Girls?) at it. But not SATC. They rocked with with their finale. And for the record, it was waaaaaay better than the finale of The Sopranos.

6. Nicklas has been exercising a little more independence lately. He asked to wait in the car while Seeger and I went to the grocery store the other day. The next day, I had to leave for about 45 minutes to take Freddie to the vet and he asked if he could stay home alone during that time. Some parents would freak out about this but I'm proud of his desire to take care of himself.

7. I have a friend who is currently in China, adopting a daughter. Another couple has been traveling with her family as they too are adopting. When the other couple received their child a few days ago, they quickly realized she was very, very delayed both physically and mentally. With heavy hearts, they gave her back to the agency. I can't imagine having to make that decision! The agency offered them another child and at first, they weren't sure they wanted to go through it. But they did and their new daughter was completely different, very alert and active.

8. At Seeger's spring program, it took everything I had to keep it together and not start bawling. He's going to be in kindergarten next year. He's growing up! Next week is his last week in Pre-K and to me, that means the door is closing on the baby phase of my life. I don't feel old enough to be past that stage, especially when so many of my friends are just entering it. Clearly, it's very emotional for me and I need to figure out how to deal.

9. Cancer sucks. It really, really sucks. I hate Cancer.

10. I have too many Facebook friends. As a result, I miss updates on people I really want to connect with. I think it's time to purge my friend list.

1 comment:

#2 gansta said...

BIG fan of RTT :) LOVE IT!

In fact, i'm going to go purge my facebook...just the motivation i needed. Not to worry, you wont' get purged love :)