Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Project updates

I'm still trucking along on the stocking project for Melia. Over the weekend, I cut it out, layered both sections, and quilted it. I free motioned the red area because Melia's mom loves that style of quilting. I sewed the garland on the tree and tried to figure out how I was going to do Melia's name. I was originally thinking of appliqueing it but since the construction is taking much longer than I expected, I think I've decided to free motion her name in cursive writing. Tonight, I'm going over to my friend Christy's to get help with embellishing the tree. Christy is super creative and she has lots of beads I can add. It's almost ready to be put together!!

I also started a new quilt top. I should probably finish quilting the Kaffe Fassett quilt but I needed a break. I'll finish it before the new year though. The stashbusting contest is nearly over so I need the points!!! Anyway, now I'm working on a Bulls-eye quilt. Several stashbusting friends have done them and I thought I'd give it a try. You cut out several different fabrics in three different sizes.

Then you sew them (on top of each other) on a large block. You leave a quarter inch seam around the circle which will give the block a frayed look.

That's as far as I've gotten but once the blocks are complete, you cut them into fourths (smaller blocks), mix up the blocks, and sew them back together. So you end up with your circles again but each quarter is different. You end up with 12 different primary fabrics and four different background fabrics.

1 comment:

Julie said...

AHHHHH!!! I love it! I can't wait to see it in person. Natalie, you are so so talented. I feel so lucky to have such a creative and fun friend like you. Thank you again for taking on this project. I have an idea for her name if you want. If not, I am happy however it is done! You are incredible. Melia will always remember you from this. I still cherish my stocking.