I have been working on a quilting project off and on for most of the summer. I may have even posted pictures on this blog a few months ago with some details about my progress. It's been slow going but this week I finally had an opportunity to make some serious headway on my Kaffe Fassett quilt top. (I haven't named it yet but I'm thinking of something about sunshine or sunburst or sunrise...)
I was inspired to start this project after I saw several versions on Flickr last spring. I love the use of different sized blocks and fabrics. Some of the versions I saw were very scrappy with many different colors. Others focus on pastels or a specific color (one was in all blues). I choose to blend together yellows, oranges, and reds. This quilt is done quite a bit differently than others as I had no pattern and there is no rhyme or reason to how big to make the blocks or how wide my strips and center blocks should be. I randomly made blocks of different sizes, would lay out a section and add or cut away from the blocks to make them fit together. Oh, the freedom!
I've been home from work most of this week after having my wisdom teeth removed on Monday. The narcotics made me a bit loopy and sleepy but in between naps and nausea, I was able to put together a large chunk of this quilt top. I had hoped it would be big enough for a full or queen size bed but right now, it's rather square which makes it a bit short on the ends. I have few leftover blocks but will need to put some more together to add length. After which, I can layer and start the quilting process.
I hope to finish this project soon however the Charity Quilt is still in progress. It's currently on the Beast and has been partially quilted. Because I haven't been feeling well, I've decided to give up my ticket for the IU football game tomorrow and take it easy in Lafayette. That should give me some time to to do some more quilting on it (and it will be my first time really getting to use the Beast!). If MIL and I make significant progress, we hope to finish it up and get the binding on this weekend. That would free me up to work on the Kaffe Fassett quilt for the next few weeks.