Sunday, September 7, 2008

A quilting we will go...

The MIL and I are continuing to make progress on the charity quilt. We got together with some fellow quilting friends and cut out fabric for 110 eight-pointed star blocks. With fabric contributions from everyone, we had enough varieties to cut two of everything which means we'll have 55 different prints in the quilt. (Here is a sample.)

We divided up the pieces and everyone took some homework with an assignment of putting the pieces together within two weeks. Of course, I was the only one late with my homework. I only completed 10 of my 33 blocks as I've been busy making corn hole bags for my brother-in-law (side note, if you need a corn hole set, check out his website at The MIL graciously offered to complete the rest of my blocks.

Today we go together to strategize about the next steps in finishing our project. Unfortunately, some of the blocks returned to us were nearly 1/2 an inch too small so we've done some readjusting. After, we'll start the sashing and hopefully get the top put together. MIL is hoping to get it quilted on a friends long-arm machine (affectionately called The Beast) next weekend.

In the meantime, I snapped some shots from making the 10 blocks I finished. In the first, I've started strip piecing.

Seeger loves to be involved with my quilting projects...

And here is a finished block. I've had this fabric for a long time. It was one of my first purchases from a "real" fabric shop (opposed to a Jo-Ann's or Walmart.)

Hopefully, I'll have a picture of the top to post soon!

1 comment:

Christy said...

I love seeing fabric stacked like that! I just am getting ready to post pictures of my weekend progress on my blog!

BTW, I think that reading those letter verifications will be the death of me! I have to try like 2 or 3 times to get them figured out.