Monday, August 18, 2008

Am I hugger?

I thought I was a hugger. Several years ago a co-worker informed me I wasn't one. I took exception. Afterall, she and a few others in the office gathered in her office, in private, for a big group hug EVERY MORNING. I thought it was a little weird. (Why else would they close the door, making the event exclusive?) So I considered her comment but dismissed it as coming from a hugger who passed judgement on all who weren't invited in to her special group.

But since then her comment has haunted me. I like to hug. I enjoy the act and it always makes me feel good to hug others. But I think I've come to realize that I make hugging much more personal than some other people do. Since the comment, I've studied the extreme huggers - those who hug often and indiscriminately. I often look at them with jealousy, wishing I could be so free with my own hugs. But I'm not. It's not natural to me. I limit my hugs to my husband and kids, my mom and dad, and those family and close friends I haven't seen or won't see for awhile. That's it. I feel a little sad and I'm sure I'll continue to envy those who hug more freely. Perhaps in the next few months, I'll make more of an effort. But I'm sure it will taper off and those comments from the former coworker will continue to bother me. So know this - if I hug you it means that I care a great deal about you and I'm happy to be a part of your life. And please feel free to hug me. Push past the 'no hug' vibe I give and hug away.

Hugs to everyone,
Natalie

No comments: