Friday, May 25, 2012

Random Thought Friday

I know it's been awhile since I've been all wordy and stuff so I thought I'd spend a few minutes updating ya'll on recent thoughts/actions.

1. You may have gathered from a previous post that our home was burglarized last week. It came as quite an unexpected shock to us and we lost around $5,000 worth of things. A bummer - yes - but it could have been SO MUCH WORSE. People who have experienced something similar have told me that they felt so violated. It's not about the stuff but the thought of strangers rifling through their homes. I can't say that I feel that way. Yes, the thieves went through our things, combing through the house but that doesn't really bother me. If anything I feel thankful - thankful that they didn't trash the place, thankful that the Polack discovered the break-in (and not Nicklas who is the first one home sometimes), thankful that Freddy wasn't hurt, thankful that there wasn't damage, thankful that they didn't take anything that can't be replaced. Yes, we filed a police report. No, there are no leads. Yes, we're working with our insurance company and will get everything replaced. And in the midst of feeling like it could have been so much worse and feeling truly lucky about that, my friends from work stepped up and gave us a sizable monetary gift. To help with the insurance deductible. So those feelings of thankfulness have grown exponentially and are mixed in with humbleness and amazement and blessedness and so many other emotions.

2. I believe in karma so when the burglary first happened, I went through any bad deeds I may have acted upon (no one is perfect afterall) and while I couldn't find anything that warrants the actions that occurred against me and my family, what I take away from this entire situation is evidence that people are truly good and caring and thoughtful and this is all a reminder to me that I should always strive to be all that AND MORE. I feel closer to my family - to Mike (yes I'm using his real name because that's how serious I am right now), to Nicklas, to Seeger - because we've endured this shock together. And I feel closer to my work friends.

Good overcomes evil.

3. Seeger has really enjoyed going to Nick's baseball games this year because he's friended the brother of Nick's team mate. He loves to spend time at the playground with this new friend though he told us yesterday that one thing that bothers him about this friend is how much he litters. He'll throw gum wrappers and other trash on the ground and Seeger really hates this. The Polack and I talked through this with Seeger, suggesting different ways he can address this.

4. Nicklas hasn't had a hit yet this season. I keep waiting and hoping and cheering and encouraging him but the bat hasn't connected with the ball yet. He did get on a base a few times last night because he was walked. And a ball was hit to him in outfield and he ALMOST caught it. It was thisclose.

5. Today is the last day of school of the boys. They are super excited and I'm picking each of them up from school so that I can help them carry their things home. I'm also headed to the school soon for the fifth grade poetry reading and then the second grade beach party.

6. We're headed to that Lake this evening. It's supposed to be 90+ degrees this weekend so I think we picked an appropriate place to be though both the boys were invited to end of the year parties that they will miss. Nicklas decided that he wants to host an end-of-elementary-school party next year.

7. I was able to spend a little bit of time in the sun yesterday and even though I wore sunscreen, I was pink in a few places.

8. Though the boys are out of school this week, the Polack still has another week to go. This means the boys are going to spend part of next week in Lafayette with their mimi and papa. They are super excited, especially since they get to spend time with the cousins.

9. I get great satisfaction on school days where I have several tasks to complete before going to work in the morning. I went to bed last night knowing that I needed to pack everyone, buy bagels, load my car with boxes, gather Seeger's beach party items, and bring seasons 1 and 2 of Dexter - all before dropping Nicklas off at school by 7:30. And of course, I didn't go to bed until 11:30 so I knew it would be tough getting up in the morning. I felt like superwoman when I accomplished it all with 10 minutes to spare.

10. Have a wonderful weekend and hug your loved ones! I'm doing much more of that lately.

No comments: