Friday, August 15, 2008

the boy knows how to follow directions

Nicklas just reminded me of a quick story that I had to share.... When he was in kindergarten, Nicklas went to the morning program and then was bussed to the YMCA for afternoon child care. It was a great program and he loved it, especially packing his lunch every day. For the first time, I didn't have much access to his lunch eating habits. I never packed a lunch growing up and I rarely do it now other than the occasional dismal Lean Cuisine meal. So I didn't really know what to pack or how much of it. It was tough for me because I didn't know what he ate, the order in which he ate, and how much he ate. I felt like I overpacked (better too much than not enough?) and after a few weeks of realizing that nothing ever came home, I became concerned about food getting thrown away. Always the frugal person, I cringed when he told me about uneaten apples and wrapped granola bars going into the trash. So I asked him to please bring home food that wasn't eaten.

So I shouldn't have been surprised when he came home the next day with yogurt all over the inside of his backpack. Yep, he's great a following directions. He ate part of his yogurt and put the rest in his backpack. It was my fault for not clarifying that he should only bring home food that hadn't been opened!

No comments: